Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Hoping For No Freezer Burn




Thanks to hundreds of these critters, our butternut squash harvest this year totaled four—as in, four squash. Last year we harvested over 125 pounds. Every time someone stopped by the house we'd hand them a squash. Thank goodness I still have some in my freezer. But how do I get rid of these destructive insects?

Maybe next time I will try capturing and cooking, since I understand eating insects is all the range with those favoring sustainability.

3 comments:

  1. Louise
    I can't tell from your picture what this insect is; have you asked your regional agricultural agent? It might be the brown marmorated stink bug, which has infested agricultural crops up & down the eastern seaboard, according to a New York Times article on 9/26/10 (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/27/us/27stinkbug.html?pagewanted=all. If it is and it's not too late, the article suggests that you might want to try opening up an infested squash, cutting out the bad parts and freezing the rest. As for getting rid of the pests, for now, the Ag experts appear to be stumped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sad for you. I know how much you loved your butternuts last year (and honestly, I was planning on enjoying when we come). I just made soup with a butternut squash our Italian neighbor grew (he was clueless what to do with it; what is it with your Brooklyn people?).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it is some sort of stinkbug. We get them every year--usually destroying the zucchini, but this year their focus was the other squash. I tried rescuing more squash but when I sliced into them they weren't good. These insects turn everything into mush. We blasted them with various concoctions organic, homemade, and finally toxic. They waved their little legs at us and continued eating. I'm told that nothing will work on them at this stage in their life cycle.

    (FYI: You might consider moving, your neighbor doesn't sound right in da head.)

    ReplyDelete